Wednesday, January 27, 2010

There was something about the way you said

Last night, my weariness was stretching my skin. I was at work until 8 p.m. So, I called almost everyone under the sun to get a drink but no one answered. I thought to myself, this is why people get married. I was only one block from work and had several more to go, my iPod was inoperable. So, I walked to the train "naked." When I don't have music pumped into my ears, I hum or sing to myself and I was singing a Ray LaMontagne song, Burn, mixing up chorus with verse and always coming back to the same place. I thought I really need to read through the Bruckner piece and the Mendelssohn too. I could possibly make yoga class or go for a run. I began making up all these tasks to do, to reassure, to comfort me.

I checked my phone one last time before I entered the subway and walked to my usual spot and read "The End of an Affair". Something big had just happened and it was such a good twist to the plot but, the train came after only a page was cleared. I stepped into the car and saw my Saturday yoga teacher. Mr. P. is one of those people that I have been intrigued by for a long time. I've seen him cry from being so moved by our practice. He's easy to laugh but he gets very excited when people stretch their limits. I also think he's pretty cute. I sat down next to him and said, "Hey." We struck up an conversation and that lead to dinner and more conversation. We laughed a lot and I was very at ease with him.

I do not believe in miracles from God but I cannot explain this encounter any other way. It was exactly the kind of human interaction I was craving. I could not think of anything that I had done or could have done to send out the message to Mr. P that I was coming his way. It was just coincidence?

One thing I want to remember. After I sat down and we told each other what we'd just been doing (he was taking a self-defense class. To which I asked, "Like kick-em in the balls and run?" To which he responded, Fighting Chaos.) earlier that evening, Mr. P seemed to step back from what was happening and rewind. He said, "What did you say to me? You said something like 'Hello there' or something?" I said, I think I said "Hey."
"Right! But you said it as you sat down next to me. You said, "Hey." And he looked at me like I just fallen over attempting to rise in crow pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment